Hi Jakob,

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <ja...@jacobian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 3:50 AM, Waldemar Kornewald
> <wkornew...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> With this reasoning we could as well add django-debug-toolbar, South,
>> django-registration and many other popular apps. What makes
>> staticfiles different? Seriously, I don't see it.
>
> Jannis proposed that we add static files in. Brian concurred. So did
> I. No core developers objected.
>
> You're completely right about DDT, South, and -registration. What
> makes them different?
>
> * Nobody's asked that DDT be included in Django. Last I spoke to Rob
> about it, he felt it needed a bit more time as a third-party app to
> stabilize the API and get more robust. I'd happily support moving DDT
> into contrib if there's sufficient interest.
>
> * We've (at least, Russ and I have) talked a lot with Andrew about how
> South might fit into contrib. The consensus was that there's still a
> good deal of exploring to be done in the schema evolution space --
> there's at least a couple-three tools that could easily be considered
> "good enough". However, we agreed that we should push some of the
> parts of schema migration down into Django,  particularly DDL
> generation, migration discovery, and perhaps migration tracking.
> Andrew was offered a commit bit partially to help make this work
> happen more smoothly.
>
> * Like DDT, nobody's proposed that -registration be included in
> Django. I'm not sure that James would be interested, either: he's got
> a different opinion on contrib versus external apps than I do. Like
> DDT, I'd go along if there was sufficient interest and if James was
> willing.

Thanks a lot for the clarification. So, then the "bad batteries" part
in Eric's talk "Why Django sucks and how we can fix it" doesn't
receive much agreement within the Django core team?

My proposal would've been to not add staticfiles in the first place,
but it seems to be too late, now. From what I can see, only the
finder/storage API looks fully reusable. More advanced asset managers
will use custom templatetags, manage.py commands, and sometimes even
their own view in order to support CSS compilers and other advanced
features. So, is staticfiles' goal to only provide a reusable finder
API or are 3rd-party asset managers supposed to reuse anything else?

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald

--
Django on App Engine, MongoDB, ...? Browser-side Python? It's open-source:
http://www.allbuttonspressed.com/blog/django