On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Waldemar Kornewald
<wkornew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the clarification. So, then the "bad batteries" part
> in Eric's talk "Why Django sucks and how we can fix it" doesn't
> receive much agreement within the Django core team?

I think that's kind of irrelevant: people complaining about "bad
batteries" are arguing that the solution should be "good batteries",
not "no batteries".

And look, the core team rarely has a single opinion -- there's 20 of
us with full commit now, so I don't see how we'd find a single thing
that all 20 agreed 100% on.

> My proposal would've been to not add staticfiles in the first place,
> but it seems to be too late, now.

If you think reverting the commit's a good idea, please feel free to
propose it and/or call for a vote. Me? I use django-staticfiles
already, so whether it's in contrib or not doesn't matter one iota.

Personally, if I got to start Django over from scratch I wouldn't have
a contrib. But I'm in the minority there. More importantly, the *vast*
majority of Django users I speak to love contrib and want to see it
grow, not shrink.

You have to remember that the voices on this list are actually a
pretty poor representation of our user community. People here are the
tip of the iceberg, the folks who have the time and inclination to
pitch in and help out. There are about 6,000 members on this mailing
list. django-users has three times as many members(18,000), and the
website gets something on the order of 50-70,000 uniques a month. If I
had to guess, I'd say that django-dev membership represents only 3-5%
of users worldwide.

I'm lucky enough to get to spend lots of my time talking to that other
95%. I'm by no means claiming to be at all scientific or unbiased or
anything here, but I would like just a bit of credit for trying to do
what I think will be best for our users. As Eric mentioned, static
file handling is actually a pretty big pain point right now.

> More advanced asset managers
> will use custom templatetags, manage.py commands, and sometimes even
> their own view in order to support CSS compilers and other advanced
> features.

To me that sounds like a feature, not a bug.

If staticfiles somehow gets in the way of any of that, then we'll fix it.

> So, is staticfiles' goal to only provide a reusable finder
> API or are 3rd-party asset managers supposed to reuse anything else?

I don't know -- let's find out. Patches welcome! If there's something
staticfiles can do to make -mediagenerator better/easier/awesomer then
I would be thrilled to review a patch.

Jacob