On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 3:50 AM, Waldemar Kornewald
<wkornew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> With this reasoning we could as well add django-debug-toolbar, South,
> django-registration and many other popular apps. What makes
> staticfiles different? Seriously, I don't see it.

Jannis proposed that we add static files in. Brian concurred. So did
I. No core developers objected.

You're completely right about DDT, South, and -registration. What
makes them different?

* Nobody's asked that DDT be included in Django. Last I spoke to Rob
about it, he felt it needed a bit more time as a third-party app to
stabilize the API and get more robust. I'd happily support moving DDT
into contrib if there's sufficient interest.

* We've (at least, Russ and I have) talked a lot with Andrew about how
South might fit into contrib. The consensus was that there's still a
good deal of exploring to be done in the schema evolution space --
there's at least a couple-three tools that could easily be considered
"good enough". However, we agreed that we should push some of the
parts of schema migration down into Django,  particularly DDL
generation, migration discovery, and perhaps migration tracking.
Andrew was offered a commit bit partially to help make this work
happen more smoothly.

* Like DDT, nobody's proposed that -registration be included in
Django. I'm not sure that James would be interested, either: he's got
a different opinion on contrib versus external apps than I do. Like
DDT, I'd go along if there was sufficient interest and if James was
willing.

Jacob