On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Tobias McNulty <tob...@caktusgroup.com> wrote:
> What's the argument against serving the original files directly?

It means that when you add new apps you have to update your
Apache/Nginx/whatever config. Back in the day (pre-open-source), every
time you added an app you had to edit your Apache config, and we
*never* remembered that step because it's just such a totally
non-intuitive thing to do. Ideally, your web server should know as
little about your app as possible. That is, deployment tends to be
easier to closer to a black box your app becomes.

Anyway, though, we're getting off topic here -- if there's a way to
make staticfiles pluggable to the point that this sort of deployment
is possible, that's great and I'd love to see some ideas.

> Ah, so realistically we should put all our media in 'static/<appname>', like
> for templates, if we want to avoid conflicts with other apps.  Would that be
> worth mentioning as a convention in the docs so we don't end up with a bunch
> of reusable apps that aren't at all reusable?

Dang it, I'd put this point in my outline and *thought* I put it in
the docs. But I didn't. Yes, a note to that effect (and/or an example)
would be the right thing to do. I'll add it when I get a chance.

Jacob