I have been developing python/django programs on a windows machine at
work for several years
and have been very satisfied with the functionality available from the
available modules in windows.

I thought I would expand my universe and set up the development
environment on a mac this weekend at home.

I found some nice IDE's to use for developing on for the mac

and then I found this web site that seemed to have a thorough approach
to setting up the django environment

http://hackercodex.com/2011/08/30/python-install-django-on-mac-osx-lion-10.7/

I was pretty satisfied with the core result.

I then wanted to add some extra modules that I have employed routinely
at work and ran into some difficulties.

I wanted to use pyodbc and mysql and postgre modules to implement
database functionality, as I do at my work.

I was either unable to find the mac versions, or the versions
available were source code that and not self installers that would
need to be compiled,
with the possibility, since they were not specifically made for Lion
that after compiling they would function correctly.

Just looking for feedback /input.  I would really like to use the mac
for development, because I like so many other web utilities on this
machine.

The solution I ended up with was using the mac  as my base machine in
order to use all of the utilities and simultaneously
 logging in remotely to the windows machine for django development.

I don't want to start a border war, but does anyone have any
suggestions on setting up the mac development environment.

Just seemed like when I was looking for comparable modules, they were
not always readily available.

Thanks