On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Python_Junkie
<software.buy.des...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am I wrong in the assumption that there are less python packages
> available for non windows OS

I have no explicit 'proof' of this, but I am fairly sure that the
opposite is true - there will be more packages available for non
windows OS. The majority of Python work ISTM happens on *NIX variants
like Linux, OS X and BSD, so it would be logical to assume that the
majority of packages work on non windows OS.

Having said that, a lot of python packages are 'pure python', and so
only rely on a conforming python interpreter. All of those packages
will work the same on windows, Linux, BeOS...

Aaah, I see where you are getting this from - when looking at a
project's available downloads, like py-odbc, there will be masses of
different compiled variants for windows. This is because windows users
often fail to have an appropriate development environment in which to
compile the necessary parts, which all other OS will have readily
available, and hence most windows python users are looking for a
binary package compiled for their version of python.

Cheers

Tom