On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Python_Junkie <
software.buy.des...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess I am digging in a lot deeper into this topic that I had
> intended, but your statement above
> about each developer compiling their own source code seems to go
> against the DRY
> principle.

The DRY principle applies to writing code, not executing it. Besides, if
different people aren't running the same command once, no one's repeating
themselves.

There are numerous advantages to installing everything manually. When
you're dealing with multiple projects on the same machine, it's the only
way to keep things sane, especially with the advent of virtualenv[1].
Binary python packages will give you an option of which Python install you
are going to use that library for, at the most. They are not made to work
with virtualenv, which I'm willing to bet is running in at least 2/3 of the
stacks running Django in the wild.

If I haven't made myself clear, I'll try again: virtual environments are a
must and they don't mix well with binary packages. Even on windows, you
should 'python setup.py install' from a virtualenv or, even better, use
pip[2].

Cheers,
AT

[1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv