On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 21:17 +0000, kahless wrote:
[...]
> So are there any plans on releasing a 0.97 ?

The next release will almost certainly be written as "1.0".

Making releases isn't a trivial thing. Along with the stabilisation
period prior to a release, there's the implicit "end-of-life" impact on
older releases: 0.91 would no longer be in the security updates path.
0.96 users would no longer get the benefit of "new in development
version" markers in the documentation (which is how a 0.96 user can tell
that the next bit of documentation doesn't apply to them, but they can
otherwise use the current documentation, with all the updates and fixes
it includes). Everybody has to think about doing the upgrade dance.

It's a lot of work to make a release and has wide impact, both good and
bad. So we're focusing on making 1.0 the next "big impact" point. Yes,
it's not always going to be convenient for people as the gap between the
last release and trunk gets ever-wider. That's a problem on every
project. If you want to release stuff that works for everybody in
circumstances like that, you're unfortunately going to have to think
about having two versions for a while.

Developing software has these sorts of problems. We all realise that and
there's no solution that suits everybody. Bear with us for a bit as we
work towards 1.0. Trust me on this: the maintainers want to get it out
the door as much as you do.

Regards,
Malcolm

--
For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/