This may be bad advice.  But, since I'm a newbie myself running in a
non-production environment, what I do is restart Apache after making changes
to my model.py or settings.py.  It might be worth restarting your web
server, if you can.

I figure there's a better approach.  I just haven't gotten far enough along
in my learning to be concerned with finding a better way, yet.