[dropping apps-discuss from this reply]

On 08/18/2014 08:31 AM, Tim Draegen wrote:
> Hello world of email,
>
> The DMARC WG is getting started [1].  This IETF working group's goal is to
> address interoperability issues with indirect email flows, to document
> operational practices, and to mature the existing DMARC base specification.
> If you would like to join please visit the DMARC WG [2].
>
> The WG's Wiki page [3] documents the approach the WG will take to produce its
> deliverables.  You can find the roadmap/milestones on the site [4].  For your
> convenience, the proposed milestones are:
>
>     - 91st IETF: Document describing interoperability issues with DMARC and
> indirect mail flows.
>     - EOY 2014: Deliverable #1 (above document + possible methods to address).
>     - Feb 2015: draft DMARC Usage Guide
>     - 92nd IETF: Deliverable #2 - Document describing DMARC improvements to
> better support indirect mail flows.
>     - May 2015: Deliverable #3 - base spec changes + DMARC Usage Guide

With all the discussion about interoperability issues, DMARC issues,
etc. I have lost sight of what the status of the specification itself
is. Is there still intent to pursue it through the independent
submission path or is it to become a WG document? If so, I don't see it
(except possibly as "base spec changes" in Deliverable #3).

In any case, I don't see how you can write deliverable #1 without a
normative reference to the specification itself, and therefore I'm
unclear on how #1 would be published.

-Jim