On Aug 24, 2014, at 10:35 PM, Kurt Andersen <kb...@drkurt.com> wrote:
> >   Once the milestones discussion has settled..., Ned and myself will create
> > an outline of topics and work items that, when worked through, should have
> > the WG arrive at its deliverables.
> >
> > =- Tim
>
> What about adopting a somewhat more agile, less waterfall strategy?

Kurt, although I don't see this WG as a product development exercise (where
agile and its bugbear waterfall tend to live), I think you're touching on
something that should be clarified.

There are a few challenges in play that will make this WG difficult: the email
community is vast (because the deployment base is almost ubiquitous), email has
been around for a long time (and there probably isn't an upgrade cycle), and
the WG is focused on understanding and addressing DMARC's impact on indirect
email flows (which means we're not likely to hear from people where impact is
near zero).

Against this backdrop/problem-space, the order of the milestones is important.
Obviously, the latter milestones are informed by the earlier ones.. BUT,
there's a nuance in play due to the enormity of the problem space.  The
milestones will allow the WG to solicit participation from the email community
for specific topics/work-items without requiring full-time participation for
the next 9+ months.  This work has to remain accessible.

So, the WG will maintain an "official focus" that will track the milestones to
allow for wider participation.  That said, work on items that are ahead of the
official focus (or even behind if something is overlooked and important) is
most definitely encouraged, because it doesn't make sense to nip constructive
work in the bud just to follow process.  The only caveat I can think of is that
topics/work-items will necessarily remain open until the WG officially focuses
on them (again with the aim of inviting wide participation).

I hope the above is an acceptable compromise between remaining agile with
respect to work items while keeping a schedule for those of that require an
explicit time & place to be productive.

=- Tim