On 7 Nov 2020, at 20:12, Steven M Jones wrote:

Okay, but what is the expected payoff from splitting it out? Does it make it easier to process and approve updates of the policy content separately from, say, the description of record discovery or Alignment concepts? Easier to pass muster for Standards Track? Are implementers currently confused and dissuaded by having policy details mixed with the other content?

If the benefits seem worthwhile, I could get behind the split - but there ought to be a clear benefit.

The benefit I have in mind is that reporting does not cause issues with indirect mail flows (the addressing of which is item 1 on the WG charter), so it can proceed even while there isn’t WG consensus on how to solve that problem for the policy piece. Or in the extreme case, it can proceed even if IESG considers the policy piece to not have an acceptable solution.

Of course, if the solution to the policy piece is likely to affect the discovery/binding of the policy and reporting, which would be in the base document, this argument doesn’t hold.

-Jim