On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 9:31 AM Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:

> That's the old spec.  The consensus of the working group is to remove the
> normative constraint about p= (ticket #49).  So now only v= is required.

As Chair, this is not the consensus of the group, nor what ticket #49 (
https://trac.ietf.org/trac/dmarc/ticket/49) says. What we removed was the
normative requirement that p= MUST be the second tag in the record. p= is
still REQUIRED.

To Todd's point, DMARC is a means of communicating policy between domain
owner and mail receiver regarding how to handle unauthenticated mail. DMARC
does not function without policy.

If someone believes policy can be spun out into a separate draft, please
upload your suggestion as an I-D and we will discuss it.

Seth

--

*Seth Blank* | VP, Standards and New Technologies
*e:* s...@valimail.com

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.