On 11/7/20 4:50 PM, Jim Fenton wrote:
On 5 Nov 2020, at 9:45, Seth Blank wrote:
[...]

To Todd's point, DMARC is a means of communicating policy between domain
owner and mail receiver regarding how to handle unauthenticated mail. DMARC
does not function without policy.

[...] But I consider the reporting aspect to be useful even in the absence of policy assertion or enforcement, allow a domain owner to obtain information about recipients’ receipt of unauthenticated email from that domain. I realize that RFC 7489 treats policy as the primary function and reporting as secondary, but this WG is about improving that specification, and I consider this to be an improvement.

I agree there is a great deal of value in reporting without "enforcement" -- that's why the policy option of "p=none" exists. Perhaps the use of the string "none," meaning "no change in handling," is too readily confused with "none" meaning "no policy?" Which is indeed an odd duck, a policy saying there is no policy...

Is there a problem with using the "p=" tag to signal the desire for reports without requesting a change in the processing of messages that don't get a DMARC "pass?"

[ Quoting Seth again: ]
If someone believes policy can be spun out into a separate draft, please
upload your suggestion as an I-D and we will discuss it.

That’s quite a bit of work for something that might very well be dead on arrival. I have outlined the portions of the specification that would go in the base specification and the portions that go into the policy document, and that should be sufficient to make this decision.

Okay, but what is the expected payoff from splitting it out? Does it make it easier to process and approve updates of the policy content separately from, say, the description of record discovery or Alignment concepts? Easier to pass muster for Standards Track? Are implementers currently confused and dissuaded by having policy details mixed with the other content?

If the benefits seem worthwhile, I could get behind the split - but there ought to be a clear benefit.

--S.