On 11/7/20 8:20 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 11/7/2020 8:12 PM, Steven M Jones wrote:
that's why the policy option of "p=none" exists. Perhaps the use of the string "none," meaning "no change in handling," is too readily confused with "none" meaning "no policy?" Which is indeed an odd duck, a policy saying there is no policy...

Although the DMARC spec defines p=none as:

      none:  The Domain Owner requests no specific action be taken
         regarding delivery of messages.

This is rather tortured language that invites confusion.  Forgive me, but "requests no specific action" is a request that isn't a request.  It has no real meaning.

What is actually intended is:

      "The Domain Owner is expressing no policy for action to be taken
       regarding delivery of the message."

d/

Fair point, the language could be improved - and by a lovely coincidence, I understand there's a group tasked with revising the spec. ;^)

Though I'm not convinced that it seems confusing when you read it in the context of the "quarantine" and "reject" options right below it...

--S.