On 12/1/2020 7:03 PM, Steven M Jones wrote:
Rather that the Domain Owner is requesting whatever the Receiver implements between rejecting the message and putting it in the inbox, and is willing to apply.

Yes, but...

The premise that an author domain owner can, in any way, direct the message disposition decisions of a receiving system is simply false. It's false to a level of silliness, if one adequately considers the complete independence of the receiver from the domain owner.

The domain owner can, perhaps, express something about the owner's own concerns for mail that fails dmarc, but that's different from saying anything about the receiver's decisions about how to respond to those expressed concerns.

That is, the language expressing the semantics should be changed to be, in a sense, egocentric.  How do I, the domain owner feel about (assess) the meaning of a DMARC failure?

I'd frankly recommend changing the labels for these expressions, but expect folk to argue that there is too much installed base and operational history.  After all, we left "Mail From" in place, even after finally realizing it means "Error Return", which is completely different...

d/

--
Dave Crocker
dcroc...@gmail.com