Hello,

I do no see the point of having all the discussions here, as nobody is
capable to read and understarstand all written emails in their whole
quantity.  I personally do not follow the discussions anymore, apart
from reading the subjects…

On Mon, 2020-12-07 at 17:55 -0800, Brandon Long wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 11:09 AM Murray S. Kucherawy
> <superu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 6:47 AM Dotzero <dotz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > p= DID NOT mistakenly choose to use the language of receiver
> > > actions. p= represents the domain-owner request to the receiver
> > > as to the disposition of messages which fail to validate. Any
> > > reading of "concern" is supposition on the part of yourself or
> > > other self appointed interpreters of the mind of the domain-owner
> > > or administrator. The vocabulary is perfectly fine as it
> > > accurately describes the request being made. It makes no attempt
> > > to read the underlying reasoning behind the request because,
> > > surprisingly, there is likely to be a wide range of underlying
> > > reasoning behind why various domains publish the policies they
> > > publish. This is an interoperability standard, not a seance.
> > >

> > Not sure I agree.
> >
> > I have long held a quiet dislike for "quarantine" because that has
> > a particular meaning to milter implementations.  Specifically,
> > milter can render one of several final results about a message, one
> > of which is actually called "quarantine".  It means "park this in
> > the queue indefinitely until a human decides what to do with it."
> > There's no indication to the operator that such a job is waiting
> > for review unless one goes and looks for such things.  The upshot
> > of this is that quarantining in that environment can become a
> > denial of service attack if I send you enough messages that end up
> > getting handled that way and your queue disk fills, or the queue
> > takes an inordinately long time to process because these have piled
> > up and need to be inspected.
> >
> > Certainly not all implementers will trip on this (maybe none will)
> > but it's an argument to me in favor of picking a word or set of
> > words that describe what the domain owner thinks of the message,
> > rather than what the domain owner thinks you should do with it.
> >

> Hmm, reading this thread, I think one missing feature in the dmarc
> spec is passing the expected disposition in the authres header, since
> presumably the evaluation is at smtp time, but the mailbox
> delivery itself would need to know it.  One could use the dmarc=
> names and look up the dmarc policy itself to also figure that out
> with some amount of work.

… and in July 2019 there was a discussion with the subject „Reporting
DMARC policy in A-R header fields“ on this mailing lists.    Below is
an off-list consensensus to put the applied policy in the A-R from that
thread, that was not sent eventually over the mailing list: