Doug, this thread is off topic. Please disengage.

Seth, as Chair

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 17:58 Douglas Foster <
dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What you miss is that mailing lists are not the whole scope.  All
> forwarding creates trust problems and all modifications by intermediaries
> will cause trust problems.
>
>   Modification is done by many spam filters, and the prevalence of
> modification seems to be increasing.   If any of that traffic is
> auto-forwarded, it also has the mailing list problem.
>
> Reverse transformation may help with the modification problem but it
> cannot help with the larger problems of forwarder trust.  And there are
> many users of forwarding.
>
> A forwarder needs to do more than gain trust that it did nothing
> unacceptable, it also must help the recipient conclude that the originator
> did nothing unacceptable.   We have lacked a strategy for doing this.
>
> Right now, forwarding under SPF and DMARC causes important information to
> be discarded.    So they make the forwarding trust problem worse.
> Unverifiable Received entries make the problem even harder.
>
> ARC is a technology which should be able to address the forwarder trust
> problem, whether modification occurs or not.   Whether it currently conveys
> all of the needed information to satisfy recipients must remain to be
> seen.  I do not believe that it does at present, but I believe that it
> could and should.
>

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2020, 6:23 PM Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:
>

>> On 12/10/20 2:58 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
>>
>> On 12/9/2020 3:05 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
>>
>> we know that amount of traffic going through mailing lists is tiny --
>> like a couple percent.
>>

>> Keeping in mind that mailing lists have been a legitimate
>> Arpanet/Internet email activity since the start of network email and that
>> it is DMARC that created operational problems, rather than mailing list
>> activity creating problems,  the onus for declaring a nearly 50 year
>> activity no longer supported should be pretty compelling.  It should not
>> rely on anecdotes or the views of an isolated few. And it certainly should
>> not justify the change with some broad, cavalier claims about security.
>>
>> For starters:
>>
>>    - Please document attacks and other misbehaviors that have been
>>    attributed to mailing list operation
>>    - Please provide objective, validated documentation for you assertion
>>    that the traffic through mailing lists is tiny.
>>    - Please include similar substantiation for the percentage claim
>>    - Please explain how this type of long-standing legitimate activity
>>    can reasonably be otherwise conducted; a generic reference to the web is
>>    not sufficient; what is needed is a point-for-point evaluation of mailing
>>    list group and technical functionality and an comparison to replacement
>>    choices.
>>

>> This assumes that the IETF has any say whatsoever in this matter. It
>> doesn't. DMARC and ADSP before it gives the world the ability to say "i
>> don't care about mailing lists". Apparently Yahoo is one of them. That
> [...]

*Seth Blank* | VP, Standards and New Technologies
*e:* s...@valimail.com
*p:* 415.273.8818

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.