On 12/10/20 2:58 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 12/9/2020 3:05 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
we know that amount of traffic going through mailing lists is tiny -- like a couple percent.

Keeping in mind that mailing lists have been a legitimate Arpanet/Internet email activity since the start of network email and that it is DMARC that created operational problems, rather than mailing list activity creating problems,  the onus for declaring a nearly 50 year activity no longer supported should be pretty compelling.  It should not rely on anecdotes or the views of an isolated few. And it certainly should not justify the change with some broad, cavalier claims about security.

For starters:

  * Please document attacks and other misbehaviors that have been
    attributed to mailing list operation
  * Please provide objective, validated documentation for you
    assertion that the traffic through mailing lists is tiny.
  * Please include similar substantiation for the percentage claim
  * Please explain how this type of long-standing legitimate activity
    can reasonably be otherwise conducted; a generic reference to the
    web is not sufficient; what is needed is a point-for-point
    evaluation of mailing list group and technical functionality and
    an comparison to replacement choices.

This assumes that the IETF has any say whatsoever in this matter. It doesn't. DMARC and ADSP before it gives the world the ability to say "i don't care about mailing lists". Apparently Yahoo is one of them. That horse has left the barn. Many domains would rather the security improvements with p=reject. And it's not mailing lists that are the problem per se, it is that the security posture that facilitating them leaves organizations vulnerable to phishing attacks. Many organizations are giving that a nope, and there is nothing we can do about that.

There are many things that had their day and died because they couldn't adapt, were redundant, or their time was just over. Usenet is a great example. After 16 years of trying to deal with the mailing list problem, we're right back where we started. Murray's hacks for recovering the signature are not different in kind to my heuristics and hacks I did 15 years ago. And ARC seems to boil down to requiring the previously unsolved problem of "trusting" the mailing list.

So no, I won't be doing any of those things because they are completely beside the point. Feel free trying your hand solving it.

Mike