On Thu, 14 Jul 2022, Scott Kitterman wrote:
In my view, standardizing two ways to do policy discovery and alignment would
be a substantial danger to interoperability and we'd be stuck with it
approximately forever.

I agree, it's a self-evidently terrible idea.  "Temporary" transition
periods inevitably turn out to be permanent, or so close to permanent that
we'll all be dead before it's over.

What I expect to happen is that we publish 7489bis with the tree walk as the method to find org domains*.

There are a handful of widely used libraries that implmenent DMARC, most of which have developers who read this list or are otherwise people we know, so we can encourage them to update their software. Large providers like Google and Microsoft have their own implementations but we know them too.

So over perhaps a year the places that upgrade their software will get new libraries and start to use the tree walk. There will always be a long tail of sites that never update their software, but that's life. Fortunately, for the majority of normal mail the old and new methods get the same result, so it's unlikely the long tail will run into problems any worse than they already have with the obsolete software they use, e.g. TLS 1.1 making STARTTLS fail.

R's,
John

* and occasionally PSDs.