On Thu 30/Mar/2023 04:23:17 +0200 Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 11:01 AM Douglas Foster wrote:

Someone please explain to me why everyone should make themselves more vulnerable to ransomware and other attacks so that mailing lists can avoid being inconvenienced and avoid having secure operating practices.

I think we've had this discussion before. This argument reduces to: "I do not like what structured mailing lists, which have been around since the '90s at least, do with messages, and I now insist that they change their practices to meet what I perceive to be my requirements."

I've been smoking on flights since the 70s and now it's forbidden. Where I live was a two-way street since ever and now it's one way. Rules change according to changed needs.

Compelling a very broad deployed base to change its practices in an incompatible way is not a light undertaking. For this to be sustainable, we (the whole community) need to achieve consensus that it's the right way for the entire ecosystem to move.

Rather than waving an obscure MUST NOT, why don't we narrate the story as it went, what was the intent with ADSP and early DMARC, what some large providers did, what the reaction was, what perspectives are there now?

Best