On 1/10/2011 9:54 PM, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 21:31 -0600, Barbara Duprey wrote:
On 1/10/2011 8:22 PM, Jean Weber wrote:
Seriously, shouldn't you get the glossary from Sophie and start with
that? It will probably contain most of the terms that the team needs,
without lengthy debate.
Jean
I agree. What I was thinking about is a compilation not just of the terms, but
also of what
paragraph style (fairly obvious as a rule) and especially what character style
(sometimes not so
obvious) to use for each of the kinds of things we talk about in the guides.
That probably exists
someplace, too, right?
Look in the template. They should be described there, although I don't
think it contains a definitive list, and a summary from the POV of "For
item x, use style XX" to supplement "Use style XX for items X, Y, Z"
info in the template would be very useful. (That's been on my to-do list
for OOo for years.)

Ah! Never thought to look there -- the template in its older form had already been applied, just reapplied it to pick up changes. Good stuff! Maybe when we're done with the rebranding I can take some time for the reversed POV summary. I expect there might also be some additional character styles that would help by being obviously intended when referring to parts of the UI, for example.

I definitely saw some things that were inconsistent and/or clearly wrong,
Yes, especially in some of the chapters (like #9) that haven't been
properly worked on for several iterations. And no one at OOo has ever
had the leisure to do a thorough consistency fix-up.

I went after it pretty thoroughly for content just now, but gave up on the consistency aspect due to the time involved. This is the kind of thing I'm perfectly willing to do, though.

like OOoMenuPath being used instead of OOoStrongEmphasis, or dialog names using
different character
styles in different places. But that kind of correction is very time-consuming,
and probably beyond
the scope of this effort right now. It would help for later reference, though.

PS -- Sure glad the floods didn't get you!
We are fortunate this time, but our turn could still come, if/when a
cyclone comes through the north in the next 2-3 months.