On 1/10/2011 11:48 PM, Sophie Gautier wrote:
Hi Jean, Barbara,
On 11/01/2011 06:31, Barbara Duprey wrote:
On 1/10/2011 8:22 PM, Jean Weber wrote:
Seriously, shouldn't you get the glossary from Sophie and start with
that? It will probably contain most of the terms that the team needs,
without lengthy debate.
Jean

I agree. What I was thinking about is a compilation not just of the
terms, but also of what paragraph style (fairly obvious as a rule) and
especially what character style (sometimes not so obvious) to use for
each of the kinds of things we talk about in the guides. That probably
exists someplace, too, right? I definitely saw some things that were
inconsistent and/or clearly wrong, like OOoMenuPath being used instead
of OOoStrongEmphasis, or dialog names using different character styles
in different places. But that kind of correction is very time-consuming,
and probably beyond the scope of this effort right now. It would help
for later reference, though.

So we were using an online tool called SunGloss to maintain this glossaries for several languages. It was a great tool, but Oracle has decided to shut it down and use OpenCTI instead wich is a translation tool, so it's not the same usage unfortunately. I'm still thinking of a tool to maintain our glossaries, but their is currently more important tasks for me.

Here you'll find the last export I've made from SunGloss for the French
language:
http://fr.openoffice.org/files/documents/67/4226/export_20080417_en-US_fr-FR.zip

This file contains all the words used in the UI with the French translation and comments about this translation and also the state of the word (approved or pending). So there is too much information but at least you get the list of word. Also it's from 2008, so some new words are missing, I can provide you with a list of them later (I maintain another glossary now). To open the file, you should change the extension to .csv and open it as a tab separated value file with Calc, then you'll be able to filter the file easily.

Thanks, Sophie. Definitely a huge number of items (15,887) there! It doesn't look as if it will resolve the "which to use" issue, though. Apparently it includes anything that has been used, so both "dialog" and "dialog box" are there, as are "menu bar" and "main menu" (for example). "Context menu" isn't there, though "contextual menu" is -- so that seems to have been a global change. And there are a slew of "pop-up" related terms! So absence of a term is meaningful, but presence really isn't.

Hope this help to begin, but I think the more useful really would be to have an online tool accessible to each author to add words and comments, even for style, where there is the ability to make some export for offline work.

Right.

PS -- Sure glad the floods didn't get you!

yes, sure :)

Kind regards
Sohie