Hi :)
I think the immediate one to work on is the Base Handbook rather than the
full guide.  I agree that reading the single chapter in the Getting Started
Guide might help prepare you for Base.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
The first book there has a chapter to introduce each of the
modules/programs/apps within LibreOffice.

The Base Handbook is much shorter than the full guide so it might not go
into as much depth as you'd like but it is good to get a broad overview
before getting tooo bogged down in too many of the intricacies.  Also it is
currently being updated quite significantly so it'd be great to do
proof-reading for the chapters as they get completed.  It is the Handbook
that is in most need of proof-reading at the moment.

If you manage to catch up with the translation-update then going on to the
full guide would help gain a much deeper understanding.  The full guide is
more of a longer-term project and is being written from scratch by Dan
Lewis.

Errr, this guide might help you work with the published guides;
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development

Hopefully someone might register you at ODFAuthors while you are reading
through that.
Many thanks and regards from
Tom :)