On Wednesday, September 10, 2014, Robinson Tryon <bishop.robin...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Alan Cook <alanc...@gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > The reason that there's both a Guide and a Handbook is that the German
> > documentation team got tired of waiting around for the English team to
> > finish the Base Guide, so they took the draft chapters, translated them,
> > finished the book, and published it as the Base-Handbuch. That document
> was
> > then translated back into English as the Base Handbook.
>
> Why the difference in name? Is the Handbook written in a different
> style than our other guides?

Because the Base Guide had several chapters in draft form before we decided
that translating the German Handbuch would be a faster way to get a book on
Base done in English, we used a different name, Handbook, to avoid
confusion with the draft guide. I note that all the German translations
of the English User Guides are Handbooks; I assume that's the German
equivalent term.

And yes, the translated Base Handbook is written in a somewhat different
style, though not greatly different.

> > Contrary to what Tom D. indicated, the Handbook is /not/ shorter or less
> > thorough than the Guide. Each is intended to be a complete and
> comprehensive
> > user manual; the difference is that the Handbook is finished (although
> not
> > up-to-date in English.) The current German version of the Handbook has
> 448
> > pages in 11 chapters; the plan for the Guide includes 10 chapters, of
> which
> > only 3 are complete.
>
> Hmm... if they're roughly the same type of manual, then perhaps
> name/content harmonization would help avoid confusion. (Apologies if
> there's already been a conversation on this matter; please feel free
> to point me at it)

> >...Moreover, this needs to be done by someone who's
> > running Base on Linux. For reasons I don't understand, screen captures
> don't
> > always work correctly when done using Windows, and Windows is what I'm
> > running.

> IIRC, most projects take screenshots in GNU/Linux for
> 1) Consistency
> 2) Avoiding any question about including screenshots of a proprietary WM

Those are the reasons for preferring to take screenshots using Linux. It
has nothing to do with "don't always work correctly when done using
Windows". I note that those in the Writer Guide are taken from Windows, and
the Getting Started Guide has a mixture of Windows, Mac, and Linux pix. In
both cases it's either be inconsistent or not get the book done. IMO having
some Windows pix in the Base Handbook is not a problem, though others
disagree.

--Jean