On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Alan Cook <alanc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The reason that there's both a Guide and a Handbook is that the German
> documentation team got tired of waiting around for the English team to
> finish the Base Guide, so they took the draft chapters, translated them,
> finished the book, and published it as the Base-Handbuch. That document was
> then translated back into English as the Base Handbook.

Why the difference in name? Is the Handbook written in a different
style than our other guides?

> Contrary to what Tom D. indicated, the Handbook is /not/ shorter or less
> thorough than the Guide. Each is intended to be a complete and comprehensive
> user manual; the difference is that the Handbook is finished (although not
> up-to-date in English.) The current German version of the Handbook has 448
> pages in 11 chapters; the plan for the Guide includes 10 chapters, of which
> only 3 are complete.

Hmm... if they're roughly the same type of manual, then perhaps
name/content harmonization would help avoid confusion. (Apologies if
there's already been a conversation on this matter; please feel free
to point me at it)

>...Moreover, this needs to be done by someone who's
> running Base on Linux. For reasons I don't understand, screen captures don't
> always work correctly when done using Windows, and Windows is what I'm
> running.

IIRC, most projects take screenshots in GNU/Linux for
1) Consistency
2) Avoiding any question about including screenshots of a proprietary WM

Best,
--R

--
Robinson Tryon