From: Nils <dove...@bugblatterbeast.de>

> Lots of the emails I send aren't stored in the sent folder. It seems
> that it mostly (but not always) work for sent emails where the main
> email-address (the one that is also used as login name) is used as
> sender. It never seems to work when an alias is used as sender name.

Sounds to me like some mail reader filtering rule.

Ordinarily, dovecot does not handle the capture of outgoing mail,  Most
of the time, it's the mail reader (MUA) that files outgoing messages to a
sent-mail folder, and less commonly, the MTA will do it.

Mail readers probably employ their own logic to determine what belongs
in the sent mail folder: it could be all outgoing mail, it could be redirected
based on some role filter.

If you have a repeatable case, check it against your filter rule set.  If it's
inconsistent (the same message does and does not make it into your sent
mail folder), you can look at other causes.

Joseph Tam <jtam.h...@gmail.com>