Thanks a lot for your input Joseph.

On 6/21/24 01:42, Joseph Tam via dovecot wrote:
Sounds to me like some mail reader filtering rule.

Ordinarily, dovecot does not handle the capture of outgoing mail,  Most
of the time, it's the mail reader (MUA) that files outgoing messages to a
sent-mail folder, and less commonly, the MTA will do it.
I considered that, but it started happening when I migrated to a new server while still using the same MUA. I know, that it's easy to confuse correlation with causality, but when a problem starts occurring the moment you change a component, it's mostly a good idea to start looking there. Also, I was hoping that dovecot would provide better logging options than Thunderbird. So that I'd be able to see if the command for saving those mails even reaches dovecot.
Mail readers probably employ their own logic to determine what belongs
in the sent mail folder: it could be all outgoing mail, it could be redirected
based on some role filter.
That would be a very good explanation for some of the problems but not for all.

require "fileinto";
require "imap4flags";
if header :contains "List-ID" [ "dovecot.dovecot.org" ] {
    fileinto "dovecot-user";
    setflag "\\Seen";
    stop;
}

This could have been a reason, why the mails I sent to this mailing list do not appear in my Sent folder. But then I would expect them to be in the folder "dovecot-user", where they aren't either. Also there are other mails, using an alias as "From" address, where none of my filters would apply and they aren't stored to the sent folder as well.
If you have a repeatable case, check it against your filter rule set.  If it's
inconsistent (the same message does and does not make it into your sent
mail folder), you can look at other causes.
Yes, I have repeatable cases. Any email I send, using an alias as "From" address, will be sent successfully but not stored. No matter what content it may have. Emails send to the same recipient with exactly the same content will be stored to the sent folder when the "From" address is the main email address.

Still, there is no filter rule that would apply to that. Additionally, I only use "fileinto" actions in my filter rules. If it were one of them, the Email would have been stored somewhere else. I tried the aforementioned testcase, using a unique string as content. Running a full text search for that string on the servers mailbox folder only showed the one email that was not using the alias as sender name.
Joseph Tam<jtam.h...@gmail.com>