On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 10:56:48PM +0200, Nils via dovecot wrote:
> On 6/20/24 22:47, Marc wrote:
> > using outlook?
> >
> > I also had this, and when I searched for this, I found lots of people have
> > had this and it is a known issue since many years. (They recommend creating
> > new profile)
> >
> Thank you very much for your fast response, Marc.
>
> I use Thunderbird (currently 115.12.0). I was suspicious of my client too,
> but I manage accounts on other servers with that client too and they seem to
> work without problems (although I don't use aliases there). I'm gonna
> prepare another client and check that.

For Thunderbird I suggest going to "Copies & Folders" of the account and
replacing
"Place a copy in" with "Bcc these email addresses" option.
Then if you want outgoing mails to be in the Sent folder on IMAP server,
move them there with a Sieve filter.

Storing sent mails over IMAP is unreliable because it is not the same connection
as you use for SMTP. It is always possible that you manage to send the mail out
but fail to connect to IMAP or disconnect from the network before the message
is fully stored there.

The default of storing messages over IMAP looks to me like a historical solution
that evolved by users switching from using TUI clients that stored mails
in the Sent folder using "Fcc" mechanism on the remote *nix machines
to accessing these same *nix machines over IMAP sometimes.
In this case it makes sense to store mails into the same folder.
But now that email servers are accessed exclusively over IMAP
and not remote shell, Bcc to self looks like a better solution.