Thank you very much for your reply.

On 6/21/24 07:21, Alex via dovecot wrote:
For Thunderbird I suggest going to "Copies & Folders" of the account and
replacing
"Place a copy in" with "Bcc these email addresses" option.
Then if you want outgoing mails to be in the Sent folder on IMAP server,
move them there with a Sieve filter.
I understand that this would be a very safe solution. It's a very good idea for a workaround.
Storing sent mails over IMAP is unreliable because it is not the same connection
as you use for SMTP. It is always possible that you manage to send the mail out
but fail to connect to IMAP or disconnect from the network before the message
is fully stored there.
Yes, that's very reasonable. But wouldn't a problem like that show up in the log files?
The default of storing messages over IMAP looks to me like a historical solution
that evolved by users switching from using TUI clients that stored mails
in the Sent folder using "Fcc" mechanism on the remote *nix machines
to accessing these same *nix machines over IMAP sometimes.
In this case it makes sense to store mails into the same folder.
But now that email servers are accessed exclusively over IMAP
and not remote shell, Bcc to self looks like a better solution.
I get what you mean. You have one protocol/access for sending and storing the message.

Still it wouldn't satisfy my curiosity. Not to find out why the problem is occurring only with emails that have an alias as the sender in the "From" field, would be a pity.