From: john [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 6:46 AM
To: George, W5YR; Jim Shorney; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [drakelist] Should I get rid of my 7 line?

At 12:20 AM 8/1/03 -0500, George,  W5YR wrote:
>The likelihood of a microprocessor or other such complex chip failing in a
>modern radio - barring a lightning hit - is so small as to be negligible. In
>fact, barring infant mortalities on all the electronic parts these days, the
>failure rate is just about non-existent. Once a radio has survived the first
>few months, it is just about cast in concrete.

        In general this is very true!  The one "gotcha" in this equation
is still the lowly electrolytic cap.  These things have lifetimes that are
many
many times shorter than the semiconductors they're adjacent to.

        I think it's this technology that's going to start haunting us
as solid state gear ages.

        73
        John