john_hud...@oes.ca.gov wrote:
I've seen some of the responses and idea's on cleaning equipment. Let me
share two things on this subject:

A Volunteer for Cal OES worked at hewlett packard in the metrology lab
cleaning and alining test equipment. I had the opportunity to visit the old
facility that was located in Fullerton, CA. What I saw them do blew my mind
and later helped me. They would take Simple Green, same stuff from the
store and hose down the equipment top to bottom and let it set for a while.
Then after giving it a once or two over with a brush where appropriate they
would rinse the equipment with fresh distilled water, blow all the water
possible out of the unit, then place them into an oven for several days.
The equipment came out looking brand new! and the process did not harm the
electronics and in fact removed dirt and grime that improved airflow and
reduced heating issues.

My second comment echoes some of the first. I was moving equipment and
during the process a quart of motor oil got spilled into a computer
monitor. I disassembled the unit, remembering my HP experience, I took
Simple Green to the unit and then used a car wash to pressure wash the
equipment. DID I GET SOME LOOKS! Then used my air hose and baked it in the
oven overnight at 200 deg's. 2 days ago I just replaced that monitor for an
LCD, however it still worked some 7 years later.

Summarize! Simple Green, fresh water, bake in oven until "done" best for
36-48 hours very low temp.

don't forget to say .....

"Bam!"

73