Nope...thats not it at all John:

In my experience, one cannot do as good a job with q-tips, brushes, toothpicks, etc. IF the unit is really dirty. I've spent many hours doing just as you describe..I've also done other equipment by "washing" it. I think one uses the most appropriate and effective method available with regard for the purpose and condition, etc of the item.

We don't have to be judgmental regarding a person's motivations, decisions, or purposes. We aren't dealing with Monet's here for crying out loud.

Just my .02 worth.

Curt
KU8L
4 Line daily user

john wrote:
Maybe if one doesn't have the time to carefully clean vintage gear (and the respect for it) a more modern (and clean) radio would be a better match? If taking time and care with a piece of classic gear should not be an inconvenience, but part of the joy.

I guess you could take a classic Porsche, or vintage Corvette through the $2.50 "Blast O Matic" car wash too... it certainly would be fast though risky. Most people who own such things get enjoyment out of spending time with them and don't view such care as an burdensome task.

Just a (last) observation.

John K5MO