OK still troubleshooting but found 2 more clues....

I pulled all the tubes and the AC4 power resistor R3 in the 250V line is now
cool to touch and V is 260V with NO tubes in.
When OA2 is in place (only OA2) R3 is too hot to touch and V drops about
12V.

2nd Clue I finally found what smoked in the chassis.  It was hiding under a
switch shaft in the RF compartment.  The 'smoker' was R30 the 68 ohm 1/2
watt resistor on V5 (final)

So I think maybe the tube had a grid to fil short and took out both
circuits.

I am still not getting a spot signal.  R3 is still too hot when OA2 is 'IN'

OA2 is blue not shure otherwise if it is good?  Problem may be on the 150 V
line as that powers the VFO (I think).

Still have the tubes out.

Paul K3PG in 'snowy' MD
pix on http://pgerhardt.blogspot.com