Paul -

OK.  See below.

Drake 2-B, 4-B, C-Line&  TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Paul Gerhardt wrote:
OK still troubleshooting but found 2 more clues....
I pulled all the tubes and the AC4 power resistor R3 in the 250V line is now cool to touch and V is 260V with NO tubes in. When OA2 is in place (only OA2) R3 is too hot to touch and V drops about 12V.

The 0A2 will glow blue when it is working, and will have +150V across it. 12V drop across R3 is a little high, but is about 1.5W dissipation, assuming it is 100 ohms.
2nd Clue I finally found what smoked in the chassis. It was hiding under a switch shaft in the RF compartment. The 'smoker' was R30 the 68 ohm 1/2 watt resistor on V5 (final) So I think maybe the tube had a grid to fil short and took out both circuits.

I think that's where we started!  :-)
I am still not getting a spot signal. R3 is still too hot when OA2 is 'IN'

SPOT will not be present with V8 out of the socket.

Again, 12 V drop across R3 is ok, only 1.5W, and if the 0A2 is blue, it's regulating. The +150 bus drives the PTO, BAND OSC and the screen of the PreMixer, along with V1, V2 Screen and V3 screen. The PTO supply should have about 11 V on it, at the "low" end of R64, 6k @ 5W.

OA2 is blue not shure otherwise if it is good? Problem may be on the 150 V line as that powers the VFO (I think).

Still have the tubes out.
Paul K3PG in 'snowy' MD
pix on http://pgerhardt.blogspot.com <http://pgerhardt.blogspot.com/>