Gary -

Amen!

Happy New Year!!

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Gary Poland wrote:
Against my better judgment to comment on the Sherwood mods, I guess this time I can’t help myself HI HI. This subject is just about as opinionated as the fan sucks in, blows out debate. First I am not a serious contester, just a tinkerer, casual SSB /AM operator and not so serious DX chaser. Short of first IF filter replacements, I am personally not in favor of modifying the the R-4C. Even overlooking the fact that it is no longer as Drake designed it, good or bad, I prefer to keep them stock, just my opinion. I love them for what they are. The modifications were first published in Ham Radio and 73 magazines years ago. I have tried most of them, but later returned the R-4C back to stock. Probably the best reason I see against the mods, unless you have money to burn, they are very expensive. I personally would prefer the keep the Drakes stock and purchase a newer radio. Again I realize everyone is different, everyone has an opinion. Those that spent big bucks to “ upgrade “ their R-4C’s have a need to feel warm and fuzzy about the expense I suppose, and maybe they see a real improvement. I will just keep my non Blue LED lighted, spotted chassis, non $100 Hartzel paint job, non modded C-lines as they are ...
73, Gary