Personally I would never consider modifying my Drakes.  They work great as is.
When I want 2011 technology,  I use one of my modern rigs.  When I turn on my
Drakes,  I want to experience a Drake rig, and not some cobbled up one.  I no
longer would consider buying any Drake rig with modifications.  I've done that
a few times and regretted it each and every time. (Too much working taking them
out).  I look at modifying a Drake rig like taking a Stanley Steamer, removing
it's boiler and installing a Corvette engine in it.  Doing this makes
absolutely no sense to me at all.  To me, if you don't like the radio as is,
why not build your own design.

One of my other interests are Tropical Fish.  I am almost out of that hobby as
today sellers are injecting dye to color living fish and breeding sports which
never existed in nature. I guess there are different strokes for different
people.  I just look at modifying a Drake rig as showing no appreciation of
years gone bye technology.  If someone wants to improve something, go out and
buy a new 2012 rig and modify/destroy it.

Lee, w0vt