Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Daryll Strauss wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 02:05:42PM -0500, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> > > Regardless of the way it is merged the driver major version will need to
> > > be bumped. GATOS drivers does this but only minor - as I did not want to
> > > upload a mesa radeon driver just because of the version change.
> >
> > I'm afraid I haven't been following this discussion closely enough, but
> > I found this statement sort of odd, so I thought I'd comment.
> >
> > Version numbers for kernel interfaces are rather different than those
> > for normal software packages. In normal software packages they are more
> > of a vanity thing. A minor version number bump means small things
> > changed, and a major one means hey we did big things. In kernel drivers
> > they are really important as they describe the API between the kernel
> > and the user space application. There are very strict rules about which
> > version numbers are changed when.
> >
> > The major version of a driver should be incremented if and only if there
> > are incompatible changes to the driver that prevent older versions from
> > working. You obviously want to minimize these sorts of changes, so that
> > you don't break compatability. For example, lets say we found a big
> > security hole in an IOCTL. The first thing we'd try to do is rewrite the
> > function so avoid the hole. Maybe even in a way that's really slow. As
> > long as the interface remains the same that's fine. We might add a new
> > interface that's fast again, but keep the old one around for backward
> > compatability. If that's completely impossible then we remove the IOCTL
> > and bump the major version number.
> >
> > If you add or change functionality, but the old drivers still work, then
> > a minor version number should be bumped. Drivers will check for a
> > matching major number and minor number that is greater than or equal to
> > the one they need. So, again if we go back to that security problem. If
> > we rewrote the old IOCTL to be slow but secure and added a new one that
> > is safe and fast, the minor number would be bumped.
> >
> > If you just fix a bug or make some really small change that doesn't
> > impact the interface, then you bump the third digit. Third digits are
> > ignored by the software and are really just documentation.
>
> I completely agree with you.. but I did not give you details :))
>
> What happens is that if you try to use older drm driver with GATOS 2d
> driver the GATOS driver will notice and complain. But if you use GATOS drm
> driver with older 4.2.0 2d driver you will get a lockup.
>
> The reason is that the changes involve programming Radeon's memory
> controller to place AGP aperture after the end of the framebuffer and not
> at the start of PCI space as it is done currently. Both 2d driver and drm
> driver have to agree on this - which is why a bump in major version is
> necessary.

This will never be accepted by Linus, Alan or any of the kernel people.  You
need to find a way to make existing (distributed) clients work with the new
kernel modules.  Major number bumps are essentially illegal - we've promised
not to do this.  I don't know how to achieve your changes under that
restriction...

Keith