On 2002.04.04 09:44 Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote:
> > But the OpenGL spec says that the fog color is calculated on a _pixel_
> > basis and not on a _vertex_ basis. Indeed the result is different,
> > especially in long polygons that span from the front way to the back.
> Does 4 do pixel-based fog?

yep.

> > Mach64 is able to do the fog properly, i.e., on a pixel basis, but
> _not_
> Why? I know - it's only ATI who can answer this question...:)

It's because they are quite similar operations so they use the same chip
logic. In fact you have a bit to choose wether you want alpha or fog. It's
was design option.

> > when alpha blending since it uses the path on chip. So the problem is
> only
> > what to do when both fog and alpha blending are enabled.
> Are there many apps using this effects together?

Don't know, but a transparent window in a foggy level is not a situation
very hard to happen...

> > The solution of using these depending of the contents of a env var is a
> > compromise so that gamers achieve a better gameplay sacrifying a little
>
> > the visual quality and the OpenGL conformance.
> Actually, end users in 80% (or 99%?) do not specially care about
> conformance. The visual quality really matters.
>
> > There are other situations as this one. Leif checked on Unreal and
> there
> > is one (also when alpha blending) that happens and according with his
> > experiments reverting to software leads to a severe performance hit.
> It was predictable, wasn't it? And any predictions about _visual_
> difference between these two methods? Will users see the difference
> easily? Say, if you get 10* speedup with 5% worse quality (I do not
> really know how to measure it though:) - almost nobody will really use
> SW mode.

In this case the visual difference can be very big...

> Cheers,
>
> Sergey

José Fonseca