After all these interesting and informative discussions, everyone has
forgotten the start of the thread:) Basically, there should one answer
to the question whether and how "blending+fog" can be implemented .
Possible variants:
1. Yes, it can be done with hardware acceleration. DRI team knows how.
2. No, it cannot be done. DRI team knows why.
3. Possibly yes but actually no. ATI knows but DRI will never know (NDA
issues)
4. Possibly yes but now DRI team does not know exactly how...
Which answer is the correct one? After this question is answered, we
(users/testers) could get the idea whether we'll finally have HW
implementation or DRI will use indirect rendering here.
Actually, here is the point where CPU power does not really matter. What
really matters is "possible"/"impossible" and "know"/"don't know" (sure,
add "want/don't want":)

BTW, just tested mach64 driver with 3ddesktop. _Really_ fast but there
is a lot of artefacts and incorrect rendering. Probably, it's buggy app
(version 0.1.2:) but not necessarily. Could anyone please try and
comment an experience?

Cheers,

Sergey