Stephen J Baker wrote:

>>>That's odd - I see the reverse happening.  First we had software
>>
>>The move from hardware to software is an industry-wide pattern for all
>>technology.  It saves money.  3D video cards have been implementing new
>>technologies that were never used in software before.  Once the main
>>processor is able to handle these things, they will be moved into software.
>>This is just a fact of life in the computing industry.  Take a look at what
>>they did with "Winmodems".  They removed hardware and wrote drivers to
>>perform the tasks.  The same thing will eventually happen in the 3D card
>>industry.
>

> That's not quite a fair comparison.

I agree.  You may want to take a look at the following article:

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2001q2/tnl/index.x?pg=1

It shows, among other things, a 400MHz PII with a 3dfx Voodoo2 (hardware
rasterization) getting almost double the framerate of a 1.4GHz Athlon
doing software rendering with Quake2 -- and the software rendering is
not even close to the quality of the hardware rendering due to all the
shortcuts being taken.

What we are seeing, throughout the industry, is a move to programmable
graphics engines rather than fixed-function ones.  Programmable vertex
and fragment pipelines are not the same as a software implementation on
a general purpose CPU, as the underlying hardware still has the special
functionality needed for 3D graphics.  I suspect that this will continue
to be true for a very, very long time.

-- Gareth