> But the OpenGL spec says that the fog color is calculated on a _pixel_
> basis and not on a _vertex_ basis. Indeed the result is different,
> especially in long polygons that span from the front way to the back.
Does 4 do pixel-based fog?

> Mach64 is able to do the fog properly, i.e., on a pixel basis, but _not_
Why? I know - it's only ATI who can answer this question...:)
> when alpha blending since it uses the path on chip. So the problem is only
> what to do when both fog and alpha blending are enabled.
Are there many apps using this effects together?

> The solution of using these depending of the contents of a env var is a
> compromise so that gamers achieve a better gameplay sacrifying a little
> the visual quality and the OpenGL conformance.
Actually, end users in 80% (or 99%?) do not specially care about
conformance. The visual quality really matters.

> There are other situations as this one. Leif checked on Unreal and there
> is one (also when alpha blending) that happens and according with his
> experiments reverting to software leads to a severe performance hit.
It was predictable, wasn't it? And any predictions about _visual_
difference between these two methods? Will users see the difference
easily? Say, if you get 10* speedup with 5% worse quality (I do not
really know how to measure it though:) - almost nobody will really use
SW mode.

> > Cool! And the default version will be HW-based non-conformant, won't it?
> This is very subjective, but if we assume that DRI aims to be OpenGL
> conformant, I vote for sw-based conformant...
:)) I see your point. Again "real life vs standards":). It's time for
new poll on dri.sourceforge.net:)

> > BTW, I can seriously recommend 3ddesktop as a test tool. It supports
> > several effects (blending, textures, etc. with on/off switching) so its
> > behavior could give a lot of hints to the developers.
> I'll check it.
Thanks a lot. I'm not lobbying it. I just like it - and would like it to
work properly on Mach64 - today I have a lot of problems with it - which
I don't have in pure SW mode.

Cheers,

Sergey