Jens Owen wrote:

> Mike Mestnik wrote:
> >
> > sis renamed to i830 (or one was removed and the other added),

I don't know about 830, but SiS has been added. These are not the
same...

> I realize the SiS driver is lagging behind in the current development
> branch and will probably end up with 3D support disabled in XFree86 4.3
> unless SiS can make documentation or engineering bandwidth available.

Push them as hard as you can! (I don't hope for much from them, they
don't seem to be interested in Linux at all. My history in "pressing"
information out of them doesn't look promising. Either they do it
themselves, or nobody does it. They did not agree to give me any docs,
even after I had offered to sign a NDA.)

> However, Thomas Winischhofer has been working hard to keep SiS support
> going wherever possible, and it *might* be premature to remove the DRM
> support for XFree86 4.2 if it still works for that release.

SiS DRI in 4.2 works perfect on the 300 series (630, 540, 730, 300).
These devices are very common in laptops in Europe.  Dropping DRI for
these devices would be a huge step backwards.

So far, nobody could explain to me what direction the current
development is going which makes it necessary to update the SiS driver
in a way that requires additional docs. The 3D routines are all there,
changing the API is primitive... I am far from being an expert on this
matter, but an answer to this question would be interesting.

> I recommend leaving the SiS support in the kernel, for now.  Also, the
> sis_ds.c patch appears to be reversed.

What did that patch do? (In short words)

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria