Jens Owen wrote:
> > So far, nobody could explain to me what direction the current
> > development is going which makes it necessary to update the SiS driver
> > in a way that requires additional docs. The 3D routines are all there,
> > changing the API is primitive... I am far from being an expert on this
> > matter, but an answer to this question would be interesting.
>
> If you think you can get the SiS driver ported to Mesa 4.0 without docs,
> then go for it.

Well... as said, I am not an expert. It just sounds a little weird to
reduce the amount of working DRI choices (=number of drivers) in favor
of a new API....

> I have to say, it's been my experience that anytime the sequencing of
> the graphics state being written to the hardware changes, you are going
> to need to have a good understanding for how the hardware works in order
> to debug any problems.  That's why there is need for hardware
> documentation, IMO.

Do you think it is possible to create some kind of compatibility layer
for 3.4 drivers?

Are all the other DRI drivers up-to-date for MESA 4?

Dropping the driver from 4.3 will keep a lot of people from using it....

As soon as I have time, I will take a look. From the last time I read
the code, I remember it was quite well documented (or spoke for itself).

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria