On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 04:25:21PM -0700, Russ Dill wrote:

>> > Unfortunately this appears to be not very helpful for those of us
>> > who test-run the snapshots on a regular basis against known OpenGL
>> > programs. This is from the radeon-20020930 binary snapshot:
>> >
>> > libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/radeon_dri.so
>> > libGL error: dlopen failed: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not
>> > found (required by
>> > /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/radeon_dri.so)
>> >
>> > _I_ don't have glibc-2.3 on my system and I believe, others don't
>> > either. So this _might_ render the binary snapshots pretty useless.
>
>> But so the 2D driver from that snapshot works for you?
>
>Its c code, so I don't think the version of gcc is that important, what
>matters is the GLIBC_2.3 symbol, it doesn't show up in the X driver,
>because it isn't linked against libc, however, the dri portion is.
>
>For some bizzare reason, redhat has decided to put a cvs version of
>glibc in their upcoming distro release, which you are aparently
>compiling against, the current release version of glibc is 2.2.5, more
>than 90% of users are probably using this version.

This still doesn't make sense to me. So isn't glic-2.3 backwards
compatible? I've been using quite alot of RHL 7.2 compiled programs with
the new version and had no problems whatsoever. So why do the DRI
drivers require specifically version 2.3? Perhaps this is a pickyness of
XFree86 module loader.

>*please* find a machine with a copy of glibc2.2, wait until glibc2.3
>actually becomes a release to compile against it (or, if in the case of
>redhat, distribute it with your distro)

The final RHL 8.0 was released 2 days ago. I'll upgrade soon but I
already checked and it has the same version of gcc. Please note that
the snapshots are done on workstation in the nigth, and I needed to
upgrade for several reasons regarding my work. I have no other machine
powerfull enough to do all these snapshots.

What I'll do is install a older version of Gentoo in a chroot'ed
environment to compile the snapshots using gcc-2.95.3 and glibc-2.2.5 for
the _time being_.

But I see rough times ahead for the binary snapshots. I surely can't make
one for each system out there. And if the others distros don't also
upgrade to glic-2.3 then I think the best is to completely stop the
snapshots builds and replace them with a nice set of scripts which
people can use to make their own customized snapshot.

José Fonseca