On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 01:35:50PM +0200, Michael Thaler wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 01:15:26PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
>
>> You don't need to build for every system, just against an older version
>> of glibc.
>
>I am not using these binary snapshots, but I appreciate this work. But
>please do not compile it against RedHat's glibc2.3 version. RedHat is
>the only distribution using it right now. The only reason I can see
>for this is, that RedHat _wants_ to be incompatible with other Linux
>distributions. Many efforts are undertaken to make Linux distributions
>more compatible to each-other, so please do not support RedHat in
>this.

Please let's not turn this into a distribution flame.

I really don't know RedHat's motives behind the decision of shipping
glibc-2.2.93 but I for one don't think it's to try to be incompatible,
but something in the lines of the reason behind the gcc-2.96.x, i.e., to
better support another architecture in order to satisfy their enterprise
costumer needs.

But I couldn't care less in this case. This is the computer where I work,
and linux distribution advocacy (or any other kind of advocacy for the
matter) is the last thing I have on my mind when I choose what software
I run on it.

Regarding the snapshots I think Michel's suggestion is the best to go,
i.e., keeping producing snapshots with older versions of gcc and glibc
wich will hopefully remain compatible with the future versions. This may
take a while to setup up so please be patient. I'm going to discontinue
the snapshots until then.

Jose Fonseca