Unless anyone says otherwise, I'm going to remove this code.  All it
has done is generate complaints from MergedFB users.  Apparently it
doesn't hurt anything (ie. cause a crash) to leave direct rendering
enabled if the virtual desktop is larger than 2048.  Since MergedFB
users seem to be the only ones running into it, I don't see this
affecting regular DRI users.  I will put a warning in the code if the
virtual res is larger than 2048 to let them know that they may run into
issues.

Alex