On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Alex Deucher wrote:

>Unless anyone says otherwise, I'm going to remove this code.  All it
>has done is generate complaints from MergedFB users.  Apparently it
>doesn't hurt anything (ie. cause a crash) to leave direct rendering
>enabled if the virtual desktop is larger than 2048.  Since MergedFB
>users seem to be the only ones running into it, I don't see this
>affecting regular DRI users.  I will put a warning in the code if the
>virtual res is larger than 2048 to let them know that they may run into
>issues.

My suggestion would be to make it a config file option defaulting
to the current behaviour.  That way users who don't know any
better get 3D working full desktop, but get an error/warning to
the log file if their resolution goes beyond what is supported.
Users who know what they're doing and want 3D on part of the
desktop anyway can force enable it.

That seems to be less problematic for most people IMHO, no?

Anyhow, just a bit of feedback/suggestion, I don't have any hard
opinion any way about it...  And of course nothing is written in
stone so whatever you go with can always be changed again later
depending on user feedback, etc.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris