What you're describing is the typical symptoms of a chip lockup. I
havn't got one of those in a while on my ProSavage. Jesse, are you using
the latest CVS for both the 2D and 3D driver?

Marco, I'm going to start looking into 3D on Savage IX on the weekend.

Regards,
  Felix

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:14:04 -0500
Jesse Merriman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Marco Strack wrote:
> > After trying 3d stuff and restarting X, X is unusable. Even after warm boot of
> > the machine X is not usable. When starting the login manager it takes about 3
> > minutes to get the picture completed. A shutdown/turnoff/restart "solves" the
> > problem.
>
> I have similar behaviour with my ProSavage. Most 3D stuff (like
> glxgears) works for the most part, but sometimes X will get really
> really slow. This has mostly happened when I came back to my machine
> after doing an xscreensaver lock (not sure which specific screensavers
> do this though). X will slow down incredibly, but if I ctrl-alt-F1 then
> after a minute I will get back to a tty (no speed problems there) and I
> can kill X. If I try to restart X it will still be super slow. I can
> modprobe -r savage, and then modprobe savage, and it will still be slow.
> If I try to modprobe -r agpgart it won't let me, saying that it is in
> use. If I modprobe -r via-agp, that process will freeze. If I then try
> to restart it will freeze up when trying to kill everything off. Then I
> have to hard reboot to get everything running again.
>
> Jesse Merriman
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Felix       ___\_e -_/___/ __\___/ __\_____   You can do anything,
   Kühling  (_____\Ä/____/ /_____/ /________)  just not everything
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]       \___/   \___/   U        at the same time.