--- Jesse Merriman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Marco Strack wrote:
> > After trying 3d stuff and restarting X, X is unusable. Even after
> warm boot of
> > the machine X is not usable. When starting the login manager it
> takes about 3
> > minutes to get the picture completed. A shutdown/turnoff/restart
> "solves" the
> > problem.
>
> I have similar behaviour with my ProSavage. Most 3D stuff (like
> glxgears) works for the most part, but sometimes X will get really
> really slow. This has mostly happened when I came back to my machine
> after doing an xscreensaver lock (not sure which specific
> screensavers
> do this though). X will slow down incredibly, but if I ctrl-alt-F1
> then
> after a minute I will get back to a tty (no speed problems there) and
> can kill X. If I try to restart X it will still be super slow. I can
> modprobe -r savage, and then modprobe savage, and it will still be
> slow.
> If I try to modprobe -r agpgart it won't let me, saying that it is in
>
> use. If I modprobe -r via-agp, that process will freeze. If I then
> try
> to restart it will freeze up when trying to kill everything off. Then
> have to hard reboot to get everything running again.
>
> Jesse Merriman
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yeah I've seen that behavior on my savage4 from time to time.  it seems
kind of random though.  I suspected heat problems (chip gets very hot -
passive heat sink only), but it could be a bad command or something.
savage IX does the same thing however once you finally kill the 3D app
X returns to being usable.  unforuntately I know the least about
supersavage, and I don't have one to test on.  regarding the Xv, did it
work with Tim's driver?  if so you might want to compare the Xv code
and see if anything is set up differently. some of the Xv set up is
done in the mode setting code as well so look in both savage_driver.c
and savage_video.c.

Alex